Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

WE MADE IT!

Whew! After 26 hours of being in airplanes and airports, we safely arrived in Tanzania Wednesday evening around 8:00 p.m. We didn't sleep well on the planes and when we arrived in Kilimanjaro, we were taken to the house we were staying and given a 3 course meal. We all sat around like zombies trying to hold conversations, and eat, but jet lag was catching up with us.
We've been without electricity for a few days. Actually, we did have it from 3:00-5:30 yesterday, but it has been out more than it's been on. I made a special trip to the school today just so I could get on the internet and get my fix of technology.
Today we went to 3 students homes in the village jungle. If I ever complain about not having enough, please remind me of these students. One bibi (grandmother) didn't even have a chair in her mud hut for us to sit on. One family gave Pastor Sara 2 guinea pigs as a gift for all she's done to help support their daughter. They said they raise them for food, but not a lot of people want to buy them. All I can say is I'm grateful they presented them to her "live" and not on a plate. :-)
The weather is rainy and somewhat warm. Tomorrow we are going into town to exchange money, buy supplies and have dinner with old friends.
Please continue to pray for the people of Tanzania. They have so little, yet care so much!
I'll post more when I can.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you made it there Kristi! Sounds like quite a journey! I'm traveling to the Seattle area and feeling sorry for myself b/c I have to get up early and head to Omaha. If I ever feel like complaining, I'll think of your trip :) Glad you're there safely and I hope you have another positive, life changing experience!

Diane Kacvinsky said...

Kristi, You already know what to do to sleep on a plane. Don't you remember what you taught me back in 2005. "Regular Formula Dramamine". Guaranteed to put you out for 30 hours. Well, maybe not that long, your body is a lot taller than mine, but should do the job for a few hours anyway.