Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Flashlights and M&Ms

I went shopping yesterday for the small necessities I will need (toilet paper, hand sanitizer, three bags of M&Ms, etc.) I even made sure my flashlight had fresh batteries because when you take walks in the jungle in the evenings, it gets pretty darn dark. The hand crank flashlights are wonderful gifts we've discovered because the villagers don't have to worry about batteries. Last time I was there, my cousin Matt and I were walking down a path in the jungle and an old lady came out waving her machete with us. We were rescued by an elderly man, who took us to his home. It was a mud hut with no electricity. Our flashlights helped us be able to stay in there and visit for awhile. After he had his wife walk us back home, we gave her our flashlight. She told us that was one of her most valuable possessions.

No comments: