Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Orphanages in Tanzania





On our last day in Tanzania, Mama Kweka took us to two orphanages. My group wasn't sure if this was a good idea for me because they weren't certain I'd be able to tear myself away by the time we had to leave for the airport. Probably a good assumption on their part.

The first orphanage we visited was called Rifiki Foundation . It was a place where the philosophy is to raise the children in "families". They hire mama's or aunties to live in cottages with groups of children. They have beautiful classrooms they build on the facilities. It was so refreshing to hear the laughter and see the children playing like children who don't come from tragedy.

Melissa, the education director asked me if I'd consider coming there to teach. Hmmm...does it mean something if I didn't come out and say "no"?

The second orphanage was Neemah Childrens Home. Very different than Rafiki. This orphanage is for 0 - 3 year olds. The sister told us there are 4 reasons they get children there.
1. Their mothers die.
2. Their mothers can't take care of them because there is something wrong in their heads (mental problems)
3. They are born and thrown in the bush to die by mothers who don't want the shame of having a baby out of wedlock or one they can't afford to feed.
4. They have been abandoned at the hospital after being born.

Each child comes to this orphanage through social services. The babies I saw were 2 in a crib. There are 30 small children and only 4 daytime staff to care for them and 4 night time staff to care for them.

These little babies were craving attention. This happened to be the place where I left ALL of my money I had. Jenny and Lori gave me money to give to a good cause... well, this was a GREAT cause. I have a brochure I'll post when I get my journal back from Craig.

Thank the Lord for all you have been give and please remember to pray for those who are less fortunate than you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great pictures, amazing experience!